What We Stand For
Fair Prices. Local Jobs. Fresh Foods.
We are working to ensure viable livelihoods for family farmers, fishermen and workers; safe and healthy food for everyone; and economically, environmentally sound rural communities.
U.S. farm and food policy must change in order to reverse the economic devastation currently faced by our nation’s family farmers and rural communities. In addition, our international trade policy must recognize each nation’s right and responsibility to make their own decisions about how to develop and protect the capacity to grow food, sustain the livelihood of food producers, and feed the people in its own borders.
We envision empowered communities everywhere working together democratically to advance a food and agriculture system that ensures health, justice, and dignity for all. Future generations will thrive when the family farm is an economically viable livelihood supported by environmentally sustainable and socially diverse vibrant rural communities.
Our goals include:
- Effectively challenging existing farm, food, trade, and rural economic policy with alternatives that ensure family farmers receive a fair price for what they produce and have access to the credit and land they need to remain in business;
- Supporting new programs and policies that keep a greater share of agricultural profits in rural communities;
- Reducing the increasing control of the food system by agribusiness corporations and their excessive influence in the farm policy debate;
- Organizing to increase the effectiveness and capacity of the Coalition and its member groups.
NFFC pursues policies that aim to:
- Enact the Food From Family Farms Act (PDF).
- Restore competition to the farm and food sector.
- Negotiate fair trade agreements.
- Promote food security and food safety.
- Hold U.S. government agencies accountable.
- Minimize the risks of genetic engineering.
Read about some of NFFC’s accomplishments.