National Family Farm Coalition
Location: Washington, D.C.
NFFC is seeking a determined, committed, and creative Policy Associate to join our team in Washington, DC to identify and further a broad spectrum of policy opportunities to realize our goals of achieving policies that ensure access to credit, land, seeds, programs, technical assistance, markets, fair prices, and other essential resources essential for family farmers, ranchers, and fishermen. An ideal candidate will have knowledge of farm policy, Capitol Hill advocacy, and enthusiasm for and expertise in building grassroots capacity and alliances. The Associate will collaborate with representatives from national, state, and regional organizations as well as other sectors, such as environmental or consumer organizations in their work engaging with members of Congress, government agencies, and Executive branch agencies.
This position is half time and based out of NFFC’s Washington DC office, but due to COVID-19 the Associate may work from home through (at least) February 2021.
- Collaborate with NFFC staff and members to help develop strategies for increasing capacity and effectiveness of our policy advocacy.
- Work with NFFC members to explore regional policy change opportunities that have potential to result in broad spectrum changes that can achieve NFFC’s goals.
- Advance NFFC members’ policy priorities through building relationships and advocacy with Congressional offices and government agencies.
- Work with other NFFC, members, and member organization staff to:
- Develop communications materials on public policy processes, such as press releases, NFFC website blogs, and other media opportunities;
- Develop comments and inputs for legislative proposals, federal rule changes, agency listening sessions, hearings and briefings.
- Develop and advance NFFC policy action alerts for members and allies.
- Conceptualize and organize (virtual) Hill visits, speaking engagements, and other events for NFFC members and board in DC until the public health emergency eases and in-person visits are possible again.
Experience and Knowledge
- Demonstrated commitment and openness to racial equity, and social and economic justice;
- 1-2 years of public policy, legislative, and other relevant policy experience;
- 3-5 years experience working with grassroots organizations and rural communities on developing and implementing campaigns and/or policy platforms;
- Experience working with, coordinating, and nurturing movements that are geographically and culturally diverse and embracing persons of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, socioeconomic statuses, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, and personalities;
- Existing relationships with key players at various policy making levels in family farm/ranching/fisheries, food, and trade policies helpful but not required;
- Experience working on Capitol Hill is preferred but not required;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills;
- Professional attitude, strong ethics, and willingness to learn and grow;
- High emotional intelligence, self-awareness, empathy, and active listening skills;
- Strong creative and strategic thinking skills;
- Comfortable with uncertainty and ability to perform well under pressure;
- Embodies a mission-driven attitude with conviction, confidence, and optimism; and,
- Fluency in MS Office (or similar) software required, and familiarity with use of social media preferred
Salary and Benefits
This is a permanent, exempt, and half-time position reporting to the National Program Coordinator.
Compensation range is $25,000 – $30,000 and commensurate with experience. A competitive benefits package is included.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We carefully consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, class, national origin, family status, age, disability, marital status, ancestry, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Please send a cover letter stating why you and this position at NFFC are the right fit for each other, resume, salary requirements, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15, 2020.
National Family Farm Coalition (NFFC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 1986 to serve as a national link for grassroots organizations working on family farm issues. Today, NFFC represents family farmers, ranchers, and rural groups through 30-member groups across 42 states whose members’ face the challenge of the deepening economic recession in rural communities caused primarily by low farm prices and the increasing corporate control of agriculture. NFFC provides a voice for grassroots groups on farm, food, trade and rural economic issues to ensure fair prices for family farmers, safe and healthy food, and vibrant, environmentally sound rural communities here and around the world. NFFC’s mission is to mobilize family farmers and ranchers to achieve fair prices, vibrant communities, and healthy foods free of corporate domination.