(Updated November 23, 2020)
National Family Farm Coalition
Location: Washington, D.C.
NFFC is seeking a determined, committed, and creative Policy Associate to join our team in Washington, DC, to identify and further a broad spectrum of opportunities to achieve policies that ensure access to credit, land, seeds, programs, technical assistance, markets, fair prices, and other essential resources essential for family farmers, ranchers, and fishermen. An ideal candidate will have knowledge of farm and food policy, Capitol Hill advocacy, enthusiasm for lifting up the voices of grassroots organizations, and building coalitions and alliances. The Associate will collaborate with a wide range of organizations, engaging with members of Congress, public institutions, and Executive branch agencies.
This position is based out of NFFC’s Washington DC office, but due to COVID 19 the Associate may work from home for the foreseeable future.
- Collaborate with NFFC staff and members to help develop strategies for effective policy advocacy.
- Work with NFFC members to explore federal policy change opportunities that have potential to result in broad spectrum changes to achieve NFFC’s goals.
- Build relationships and advocacy with Congressional offices and government agencies to advance NFFC’s policy priorities.
- Work with NFFC staff, members, and member organization staff to:
- Develop communications materials on public policy processes, such as press releases, NFFC website blogs, and other media opportunities;
- Develop comments and inputs for legislative proposals, federal rule changes, agency listening sessions, hearings and briefings.
- Develop and advance NFFC policy action alerts.
- Conceptualize and organize Hill visits, speaking engagements, and other events for NFFC members and board (virtually for now, and in person once the public health emergency is lifted).
Experience and Knowledge
- Demonstrated commitment and openness to racial equity, and social and economic justice;
- 1-2 years of public, legislative, and other relevant policy experience;
- Tangible experience and/or clear desire to work with grassroots organizations and rural communities to develop and implement campaigns and/or policy platforms;
- Committed to working with, coordinating, and nurturing movements that are geographically and culturally diverse, and embracing persons of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, socioeconomic statuses, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, and personalities;
- Highly skilled in creative and strategic thinking, and written and verbal communications;
- Professional attitude, strong ethics, and willingness to learn and grow;
- High emotional intelligence, self-awareness, empathy, and active listening skills;
- Comfortable with uncertainty and ability to perform well under pressure;
- Embodies a mission- and values-driven attitude with conviction, confidence, and optimism; and,
- Fluency in MS Office (or similar) software required, and comfortable using virtual workspaces, such as Google Suites, Zoom, etc.
Desired but Not Required:
- Existing relationships with key players at various policy making levels in family farm/ranching/fisheries, food, and trade policies;
- Experience working on Capitol Hill; and,
- Familiarity with use of social media.
Salary and Benefits
This is a permanent, exempt, and part-time position reporting to the National Program Coordinator.
Compensation range is $30,000 – $35,000 and commensurate with experience. A competitive benefits package is included.
NFFC is an equal opportunity employer and committed to hiring and retaining a diverse staff. We strongly encourage applications from groups that have been historically under-represented, including but not limited to women and people of color. We make hiring decisions without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
Please send a cover letter stating why you and this position at NFFC are the right fit for each other, resume, salary requirements, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.
National Family Farm Coalition (NFFC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 1986 to serve as a national link for grassroots organizations working on family farm issues. Today, NFFC represents family farmers, ranchers, and rural groups through 30-member groups across 42 states whose members’ face the challenge of the deepening economic recession in rural communities caused primarily by low farm prices and the increasing corporate control of agriculture. NFFC provides a voice for grassroots groups on farm, food, trade and rural economic issues to ensure fair prices for family farmers, safe and healthy food, and vibrant, environmentally sound rural communities here and around the world. NFFC’s mission is to mobilize family farmers and ranchers to achieve fair prices, vibrant communities, and healthy foods free of corporate domination. We are a values-driven organization committed to racial equity and justice across our food system. Please review NFFC’s mission, values, and guiding principles before applying for this position: https://nffc.net/about-us/.