National Family Farm Coalition (NFFC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to mobilize family farmers and ranchers to achieve fair prices, vibrant communities, and healthy foods free of corporate domination. Our diverse grassroots member organizations demand viable livelihoods; fair prices; equitable access to credit, USDA programs, and other essential resources for family farmers and ranchers (particularly minority producers), fishermen, and workers; safe and healthy food; and economically and environmentally sound rural communities free of corporate domination. Founded in 1986, NFFC is a nonprofit, nonpartisan advocacy organization with 26 member organizations across more than 30 states.
The candidate should have extensive knowledge of farm policy and Capitol Hill advocacy, as well as enthusiasm for and expertise in building membership capacity and alliances working for fair policies that ensure access to credit, land, seeds, programs, technical assistance, markets, fair prices and other resources essential for family farmers, ranchers, and fishermen. Position includes extensive collaboration between representatives from national, state, and regional organizations as well as other sectors, such as environmental or consumer organizations.
Position will be based at the NFFC office in Washington, DC; periodic travel is required, including occasional international travel.
- Advocate for a strong family farm and rural agenda in Washington, DC;
- Advance member organizations’ priorities on federal farm, food, and fisheries policies through direct and grassroots advocacy to Congress and federal agencies;
- Develop and maintain relationships with key allies and public officials;
- Monitor, research and analyze the implications of federal legislation, budget appropriations, agency (USDA, EPA, FDA, NOAA, etc.) activities, corporate mergers, and international trade agreements on family farmers, ranchers, and fishermen;
- Help define strategies and methods for increasing capacity and effectiveness of our policy advocacy and implementation at local, regional, and state levels;
- Explore other policy change opportunities on state, local, and institutional levels that have potential to result in broad spectrum changes that achieve NFFC’s goals;
- Work with other staff to provide NFFC members’ perspectives for press releases and other media opportunities;
- Assist Coalition members visiting legislators, making speaking engagements, and participating in workshop and panels in DC and other locations;
- Maintain regular communications with Coalition staff, membership and key allies, including actions and responses around policy advocacy.
Experience and Knowledge
- 3-5 years of public policy, legislative, and other relevant policy experience;
- Experience working with grassroots organizations and rural communities on developing and implementing policy platforms;
- Existing relationships with key players at various policy making levels in family farm/fisheries, food, and trade policies helpful;
- Demonstrated commitment and openness to racial equity, and social and economic justice;
- Experience working with, coordinating, and nurturing movements that are geographically and culturally diverse and embrace persons of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, socioeconomic statuses, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, and personalities preferred;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills;
- Professional attitude, strong ethics, and willingness to learn and grow;
- High emotional intelligence, self-awareness, empathy, and active listening skills;
- Strong creative and strategic thinking skills;
- Comfortable with uncertainty and ability to perform well under pressure;
- Embodies a mission-driven attitude with conviction, confidence, and optimism; and,
- Fluency in MS Office (or similar) software, and familiarity with use of social media.
Salary and Benefits
This is a permanent, full-time position reporting to the National Program Coordinator.
Compensation is commensurate with experience; please submit salary requirements. A competitive benefits package is included.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We carefully consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, class, national origin, family status, age, disability, marital status, ancestry, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Please send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three references to email@example.com. Position is open until filled.