What We Fight For
- Securing sufficient funding and proper servicing of USDA lending programs and ensuring a fair USDA appeals system for family farmers.
- Eradicating ongoing discriminatory lending practices at all USDA levels.
- Raising up land grabbing as a domestic issue and preventing the turnover of land from family farmers to corporate agribusiness, investors, or extractive industries.
- Ensuring the sovereignty of family farmers, fishermen and women, and urban farmers.
As credit markets tighten for family farmers, these competitors are able to outbid traditional farmers, stealing farmland away from future generations, compromising sustainable land stewardship, and sometimes leasing land back to farmers and indebting them to their corporate stronghold.
- Farmers’ Legal Action Group, Inc. (FLAG) is a nonprofit law center dedicated to providing legal services to family farmers and their rural communities in order to help keep family farmers on the land.
- New Risk Management and Disaster Guides
- “Don’t Bank on It” – A report on farmer access to credit.
Land and Resource Grabs
To retain their rights to land, family farmers must now compete with more powerful and moneyed corporate agribusiness, investors, and extractive companies, such as those responsible for resource mining and fracking.
Is your pension fund in TIAA-CREF?: TIAA-CREF is one of the world’s leading farmland grabbers. Submit a letter to your employer asking them to divest from TIAA-CREF.
U.S. Farmland: The Next Big Land Grab?: A backgrounder on the conditions that American small farmers are facing and why it may be indicative of impending U.S. land grabs.
GRAIN – an online resource for information about global farmland grabs
- Contribute to our Farmland Monitor: Help us document land grabs! Are you a family farmer or ally? Add your local knowledge to our Farmland Monitor, a farmer-powered hub for information on investments practices that are undermining family farmers’ ability to stay on their land.